Our overarching goal is to develop an environmentally literate citizenry.
What is environmental literacy?
Environmental literacy is a comprehensive understanding of how people and societies relate to themselves alongside natural systems. It is an awareness of the earth that is held in high regard in every action every day.
The Environmental Literacy Ladder
- Awareness - Develop a general awareness of environmental relationships that both form and sustain them, including human life.
- Knowledge - Understand human and natural systems and processes, and the inextricable interdependence of all forms of life.
- Attitude - Appreciate and hold empathetic concern for the environment.
- Skills - Learn problem solving, critical thinking, networking, observation, leadership, teamwork, research, action planning, and project management.
- Action - Feel confident for personal and collective action, as well as civic participation.